Friday, July 07, 2006

Lion or is that Line Dancing?

My world this week took me to Belmore - home of the Canterbury Bulldogs. A well known (in Sydney) - Australian sporting team.

Sporting clubs in Australia are often grand affairs. Coloured lights, sculptured landscapes, waterfalls in the grand manner of Disney. There was no disappointment here.

My social mission for the night was to say hello to my Auntie and check out the line dancing.

It was bargain night at the bulldogs, with a free coffee and cake voucher thrown in with the price of the meal. We all love a bargain, and even though I was full after my steak special, I soldiered on to partake of coffee and a lamington with cream.

Yumm! (for those of you not familiar with Australian cultural delights, a lamington is a chocolate covered square of sponge rolled in dessicated coconut. Similiar to cookies in America, it used to be the fund raiser's choice, with "Lamington Drives" abounding in my childhood. Now it is much harder to track down and sadly cannot be found with the same regularity as muffins or banana bread - which abound in every cafe in Sydney. I didn't actually eat it, it was just that I had never before been served a lamington on a plate with whipped cream and I just wanted to look at it. However my extended family tucked in with gusto.

Then onto the line dancing, it seems a rather popular pasttime, with a room full of people spinning and strutting. The next day I described it to my friend and mentioned that I was quite surprised that 80% of the participants were Asian, but he found it not surprising at all for Lion dancing.



Joanne Kee
www.ceressolutions.com.au

No comments: