Sunday, July 09, 2006

Where is or isn't it

Recently, having had to go to places I am not familiar with I have had to look up directions.

What better place to look than the web. After all, the traditional street directories are cumbersome, inevitably the destination I am going to is on the crack at the very end of the page, which means I have to twist and turn the map, cross reference and keep on flipping pages. Not to mention I have reached that stage in life where a large version directory would be much appreciated.

So, a quick search online and a range of variations appear. I cannot believe how user unfriendly some of the information is. Hello????? how is that pink line across the map supposed to give me any idea of which roads/streets to take. But I guess it is obvious that I must then refer to the step by step directions and equally unhelpful smaller maps which accompany these.

Each time I have gone to use them, I am amazed at the convoluted routes they suggest for me to leave my house. OK, I am not sure how to get to my destination, but my confidence levels erode when I can't even work out the route that they suggest I take in the first few turns in my own suburb - or they simply don't make any sense.

Not to mention, if I am going to a destination like Edwin Street, why does the trip finish at Frederick Street. Rather a mystery to me.

Has anyone found a better option? I have gone back to the street directory.


Joanne Kee
www.ceressolutions.com.au

No comments: