Sunday, April 01, 2007

Cutting losses

So finally I have exchanged contracts on my house in Kiama.

That was an exercise in sentiment over good sense. Buying bricks and mortar for a long term investment, when really I would have been better off with shares, as by the time someone pointed out the figures to me, I needed to double the property value in 7 years just to make a decent return, not to mention all that money I was piling into the property for legal, maintenance etc.

So I reckon there needs to be a reality check framework somewhere, that is easy to access that tells you what sort of return you really need to be making money. Yes I realise there are all sorts of ratios and calculators, but until someone sat me down and showed me the proof, well it really is heart over common sense.

Joanne Kee
www.ceressolutions.com.au

No comments: